Are ALL manual focus primes soft on XTrans cameras?

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,377Gear list
Like?
Re: Are MOST manual focus primes soft on XTrans cameras?
In reply to mistermejia, 7 months ago

mistermejia wrote:

Not too long ago i posted some photos asking why my Rokinon 85mm was so darn soft and unsharp on my XE1, what a disappointment!

Some folks have posted photos with a Voiglander 35 1.4, the Nikkor 50 Ais 1.2, and some other ones. Do all older wide aperture manual focus primes give you that very "soft" output, just as i have seen with my own Rokinon 85mm??

Is there a prime out there that gives you sharp photos at the wider aperture? I've just discovered that this is a "normal" behavior when using primes like this in a Xtrans camera, because i sure didn't experience this with my former D7000. Maybe the problem is the adapters themselves?

Any help here? I guess i might as well just get the fuji 35 1.4.

I do not know why you have problems with your Rokinon but I have seen many fast legacy lens shots wide open and sharp. Depends on the lens and how well the subject was captured. The only snag I have seen is some wide lenses for film do not do well on digital since they are not telecentric and therefore then to smear or have color vignettes at the corners. I did love my Voigtlander 15mm which seems pretty good for sharpness in the corners but at f/4.5 it is not a 'fast' lens.

I see no reason not to get the Fuji 35mm while on sale if you want that FL. I would certainly pass on a Voigtlander 35mm since there is no tangible benefit with price or performance.

Below are a few quick shots with my new Fuji 35mm wide open SOOC Astia jpeg. Resized and not sharpened. I was stunned how well these are straight from the camera and wide open. My little XE1 with my 14, 35 and Tamron 90mm was probably more fun to carry and play with than these guys

-- hide signature --

Fuji Silver XE1 w/14, 35, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow