Is the 12-40mm good enough to forego 12mm, 17mm, 25mm and 45mm primes?

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
azoele
Contributing MemberPosts: 629
Like?
Re: Is the 12-40mm good enough to forego 12mm, 17mm, 25mm and 45mm primes?
In reply to rickreyn, 5 months ago

Yes regarding the 17 and 45 1.8s (can't comment on others, as I don't own them). Optically, it is an amazing lens, plus autofocus is very fast and even does pseudo-macro: a jewel.

Point is: at 2.8 you have basically zero background blur (unless you are really shooting something close), and only you can decide if it's ok with you. To me, that makes the zoom almost pointless.

I can't get past how tough it is to gain little DOF with m4/3s. I really need, for my kind of shooting, a 12-14-17 f1, to get the look I get with full frame with fast primes (24/35 1.4): a nice blurring, subject popping, and yet recognizable background.
I debate selling E-M1, but haven't yet, in hope of faster primes (the 42.5 1.2 is a step in the right direction). Truth is, the E-M1 is revolutionary. I never liked the E-M5 (sold it very quickly), but the E-M1 is so fast, so nice and so ergonomic I prefer it to my D4, which, in comparison looks like a camera from a different age altogether.

So, love the lens, but beware how limiting it'll become to throw anything even mildly out of focus...

Lory

-- hide signature --

'The human race is a race of cowards. And I'm not only marching in that procession, but carrying a banner.'
Mark Twain

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow