Lens recommendation: is 23mm a must-have?

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
TThorne
Senior MemberPosts: 2,544Gear list
Like?
Re: Lens recommendation: is 23mm a must-have?
In reply to TravelLight, 7 months ago

TravelLight wrote:

I have ordered X-T1 and the following lenses: 14mm, 18-55mm, 60mm, 55-200mm. So, with the lens sale ending soon, is there another lens I should buy?

I mainly do landscape, animals (my cat and wildlife encountered while hiking), street, and want to get into macro (mainly flowers and creatures on flowers/grass/leaves, etc.).

Is 23mm necessary if I already have the lenses above? Especially given that I don't really do street all that much, and already have 18-55? I really like 56mm but the price is so high that I definitely won't buy unless I have a real need (I don't do weddings or formal portraits -- not a pro).

Thanks!

Seeing as how you have the 18-55mm, I would have to ask if you plan on shooing in low light or need much subject isolation at 23mm. If the the answer to both of those is no, then I would say that you don't need the 23mm. Also, keep in mind that the zoom has OIS, so if you have a still subject in low light, the OIS will make up for some of it, but ONLY for a still subject.

Personally I like my 23mm and consider it a "must have" for me, while I no longer own the zoom and don't care for it (Great lens, just not my style). But that is just me.

-- hide signature --

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. - Sir Winston Churchill

TThorne's gear list:TThorne's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7S Leica Summilux-M 21mm f/1.4 Asph Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow