D4s Camera focus VS Live View Focus - Will Live View ALWAYS give better results?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Gordon Ripley
Regular MemberPosts: 498Gear list
Like?
D4s Camera focus VS Live View Focus - Will Live View ALWAYS give better results?
4 months ago

I am wondering whether or not focusing with LIVE VIEW by zooming in and manually focusing will always result in an image that is in better focus than the relying on the camera.  I was just checking out the focus of my 24-70 mounted on my D4s and took a picture of a focusing chart from about 3 feet away.  First simply by back-focusing the camera focus on the chart and then taking a photograph by focusing via Live View zoomed in to the same spot on the chart.

(At the start, I set the dioptor and the focus looked ok to me.)

I loaded it into PS and made no changes to the RAW images. I zoomed way in and placed them side by side to look at them. The Live View focus is noticeably better.  Also, the Live View image was better exposed and the camera doing the focus was a little under exposed.  I'm not sure how to interpret my results but will be using Live View for a lot of my focusing from now on as I believe it when I've read that this will give one the best focusing results.  After all, in Live view I am zooming way in and can really tweak the focus based on a very close look at what I want to be in focus.  I welcome any comments.  Thank you.

Gordon

Gordon Ripley's gear list:Gordon Ripley's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +3 more
Nikon D4s
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow