Is the 12-40mm good enough to forego 12mm, 17mm, 25mm and 45mm primes?

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
honeyiscool
Contributing MemberPosts: 951Gear list
Like?
Re: Is the 12-40mm good enough to forego 12mm, 17mm, 25mm and 45mm primes?
In reply to rickreyn, 6 months ago

For me, I have a 12-35mm, which is pretty much the same, and at no point have I ever felt the need to ditch the 17mm, 25mm (PL), or 45mm primes. The 17mm is a wonderful lens to leave on your camera for various social settings and just not worry about whether it's going to work or not. The 25mm makes amazing pictures. The 45mm takes wonderful portraits and medium close-up shots. At f/2.8, the zoom pretty much works for everything and has no real deficiency, but it makes shooting just kind of less fun and creative. Plus, the very best that it can look wide open is nothing like what the f/1.8 and f/1.4 lenses can look like wide open.

That said, 12mm, I ditched once I got the zoom. There's no need for that lens, IMO, once you have a zoom that covers it well enough at f/2.8.

honeyiscool's gear list:honeyiscool's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow