Sony A7R: What options for 24mm?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Tim Devine
Contributing MemberPosts: 917Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony A7R: What options for 24mm?
In reply to qianp2k, 9 months ago

I haven't thoroughly and scientifically tested it, but I've seen enough anecdotal evidence with my 28mm f/2.8 IS that I keep IS turned off when using the a7R.

At some point I have to thoroughly test it.

-Tim

qianp2k wrote:

JeffGo wrote:

I am using the aforementioned Canon 24 f2.8 with the Metabones III, as recommended by forum users. This is the sharpest option per DxO and I have done some testing to verify the corners. It is reasonably light since the lens is mostly plastic. Nice to have IS and somewhat usable AF although manual focus is quite fast. I haven't had a chance to get out to do some real world landscapes yet.

According to DXO test 24-70L II pretty much has the same sharpness of 24/2.8 IS @24mm but it's zoom with flexibility to use any FL till 70mm although it's relative big/heavy.

24-70L II on A7R @70mm, Prague, Czech Republic

24-70L II on A7R @33mm, Budapest, Hungary

24-70L II CA is very well-controlled but has some vignetting at wide open that can be fixed easily.

The Zeiss Biogon 25mm zf.2 or ze is another option. It is quite a bit heavier since it has the typical Zeiss construction, works well on the MBIII so you get aperture control with the Canon version. DxO rates this as not quite as sharp.

both of these options will require CA fixes in post but that's pretty easy with LR.

One thing I am trying to know is that if there is IS/VR/OSS compromise with A7R due to shutter vibration. On my own experience, it's pretty obvious with 70-200L/4.0 IS @200mm for example but much less with 35/2.0 IS.

Tim Devine's gear list:Tim Devine's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sigma DP1 Merrill +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow