Does Sony force Sigma to disable OS in lens?

Started Apr 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Michel J
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,009Gear list
Like?
Re: Does Sony force Sigma to disable OS in lens?
In reply to LeicaBOSS, 8 months ago

LeicaBOSS wrote:

I'm afraid the central issue is a missing understanding of experimental design. Particularly in how to interpret and challenge conclusions.

The stabilization experiment I outlined begins with the hypothesis that OIS and Steady Shot are equally effective at reducing camera shake. The results of this experiment only indicate that with the A77 and the Sigma 180mm f/2.8, handheld at a shutter speed 2 stops slower than the reciprocal rule (1/60sec) and photographing a target 10 feet away - one can be confident (around 95% confidence) that using the optical , in-lens stabilization will provide acceptably sharp or tack sharp results more frequently than using the Steady Shot in-body system. It also indicates that both Steady Shot and OIS perform significantly better than using no stabilization at all.

There is no mention of tripod shooting - because it's irrelevant to the question of which stabilization technique for handheld shooting produces acceptable results more frequently.

The main ways to improve this model would be: 1) To use a software analysis of the images and report blur units (accounting for least perceptible difference, which would require a separate experiment) 2) Test multiple Sigma lenses with OIS 3) Assess the technique of multiple photographers.

This, of course would complicate the design considerably, and only serve to increase confidence in the results and eliminate possible confounders.

Perhaps, as in the last thread, it will take another Ph.D. researcher to step in and explain why this is fair.

-- hide signature --

It's me or it seems to be that all specific factors which differentiate specific OIS vs IBIS was missed again...!

-- hide signature --

Cordialement,
Michel J
« Shoot RAW+ ...think JPEG »

Michel J's gear list:Michel J's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow