Sony E-lenses or FE-lenses on Sony a6000

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,977Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony E-lenses or FE-lenses on Sony a6000
In reply to tn1krr, 9 months ago

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

If you can afford to buy FE lenses for your A6000 and you definitely intend to go FF in future then it makes sense.

Just bear in mind that the 24mp apsc sensor has a higher pixel density than the current full frame sensors and is more demanding in terms of resolving power. FE lenses won't perform at their full potential.

Also, there are advantages to using apsc lenses other than cost - for example, E lenses tend to be a bit smaller and have OSS.

There's no point making a significant investment in apsc lenses if the A6000 is just a stop-gap, but I'd probably be inclined to have a couple of E lenses which are optimized for use on that camera.

Will FE lenses fully support the hybrid PDAF on the A6000 and allow the fast AF that is one of the A6000's main selling points?

There is no reason to believe that FE lenses will not get the hybrid AF treatment. IIRC, an early video about a6000's AF involved FE 55.

Get

Get Hybrid AF treatment? The A7 has hybrid-AF, I was under impression all FE lenses are hybrid-AF compliant out of the box?

Yep. It was specifically to address any assumption that things changed with a6000, bit if the lens can support one hybrid AF, it should be able to support the other (hence designed for it already).

In fact, I would think that pretty much all E-mount lenses might be hybrid ready from the beginning (the AF motor likely takes the same design approach).

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow