Camera industry in crisis? Thought provoking article.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
mgd43
Senior MemberPosts: 3,157Gear list
Like?
Re: Camera industry in crisis? Thought provoking article.
In reply to D Cox, 4 months ago

D Cox wrote:

A camera in a phone is still a camera, and the image quality is at least as good as that from the typical 35mm fixed-lens rangefinder camera of the 1970s. It is much better than from any Instamatic.

Sales of sensors, lenses, processing chips and LCDs for phones are very healthy, I think. These are the components of any digital camera.

What people are complaining about is low sales of large camera bodies, lens mounts, and so on. But if you look again at the 1970s, only a tiny proportion of the population had 35mm SLRs or medium format cameras. We may be going back to the normal state of business, except that the market is now much bigger because of the growth of a middle class in China and India.

I bought my first 35mm SLR in 1967 so I've been following the industry for a long time. I think that D Cox is right that SLR users were always a small percentage of the population. SLR's were the cameras of choice for most pros and serious amateurs, but the vast majority of the general public used Instamatics or 35mm P&S's. I think that we are returning to that pattern only now the camera of choice for the general public is the camera phone. Serious amateurs will continue to use DSLR's, ILC's, and high end compacts. Pros will continue to use DSLR's and maybe ILC's. So I think that rather than being in crisis, the industry is returning to normal. Some manufacturers my leave the industry, but that's happened before and the industry survived.

mgd43's gear list:mgd43's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow