Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Fred Briggs
Senior MemberPosts: 1,007Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony E-lenses or FE-lenses on Sony a6000
In reply to El3bs, 9 months ago

El3bs wrote:

Hello All,

The a6000 has been in mind for a while, considering it once it is out. However, I've been reading a lot about the new Sony FE camera/ lens, watching reviews as well. and was thinking of getting only FE lenses instead of APS-C "E" lenses, since it will be very easy to jump to the FE system anytime I want.

Anyone has a better advice?

El3bs

The high resolution FE primes will probably do well on APS-C, though maybe not as well as on FF. However, the FE zooms, for example FE 24-70, in common with similar lenses from other manufacturers will probably be disappointing on APS-C.

The reason for this is that it seems from Dxomark measurements that none of these type of standard zooms can even max out a 24 MP FF sensor. They show scores of 15-16 on Dxomark for perceptual megapixels which I believe is supposed to indicate the overall average resolution obtainable.

This appears to be confirmed by the fact that the score does not increase when tested on a 36MP sensor where available (Sony and Nikon 24-70 zooms), in other words, in reality overall system resolution is lens limited with these zooms.

I suspect that at best this type of zoom is only able to resolve about 16MP across a FF image circle. It is therefore not surprising that scores drop down to about 9 on APS-C, as although you are using the higher quality part of the FF image circle, you are only using about half of the available dimensions. APS-C lenses are designed to provide the best possible resolution across the smaller APS-C image circle and are likely to do better than most equivalent FF lenses.

So the bottom line is that I would be wary of buying an APS-C camera but only FF lenses. Firstly the equivalent focal lengths are likely to be less useful on APS-C, and secondly except for the very best FF lenses, resolution may be limited when used on a smaller than designed for image circle.

Fred

-- hide signature --

"We are so small between the stars, so large against the sky." Leonard Cohen c1967

Fred Briggs's gear list:Fred Briggs's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow