Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sbutk
Forum MemberPosts: 83
Like?
FZ200… An improvement in image quality?
6 months ago

Camera: Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 (F-stop: f/6.3; Focal length: 86 mm (35 mm equivalent: 914 mm); Exposure time: 1/640; ISO speed: ISO-80)

As anyone who’s followed my sporadic posts in the past knows, I’m obsessed with photographing birds/raptors in flight. And anyone who fits that description probably also knows that I’ve been considering buying the FZ200. This pic of two juvenile bald eagles was taken this past weekend using my FZ35, which I’ve had since about 2010. I’m seriously thinking about upgrading to the FZ200, which I’ve read so many good things about.

My first question is, considering the camera configuration used to capture this rather distant scene that I’ve provided, do you think the FZ200 would give me a better shot? Particularly I’m thinking about the constant-aperture f/2.8, and whether it would let in enough light such that the markings of the bird on the left are more apparent. Also, I’ve noted that the 200 now boasts a MOS sensor that might help my cause. And finally, I’ve heard the auto-focus capabilities/speed might have also been improved? I can’t tell you – though any other photographer of fast-moving subjects knows very well – how many shots I’ve missed out on simply because the camera took that precious extra second to obtain crisp focus on my target.

Actually, one additional question… Is there a better option for my purposes out there in the same class, other than the FZ200, that anyone would recommend looking into? (Note that I’ve mentioned in those other threads that, for reasons of personal preference, I am highly against a DSLR.)

Thanks, everyone, for any and all advice!

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 (Lumix DMC-FZ38)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow