What really makes big sensors produce more appealing images? *Serious*

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 18,029Gear list
Like?
There is a difference..
In reply to Pasmia, 6 months ago

I've shot all the popular sensor sizes and the larger the sensor the better the tonal range you can get. You'll get all sorts of people arguing and ranting over DXOmark scores etc etc but if you put decent lenses on a full frame sensor you will get smoother more pleasing tonal roll-off which you can see, at least I notice it, as you obviously do. Lighting and composition always plays a key part in it but on average, you will get "nicer" results on a full frame camera compared to a smaller sensor. Whether it's enough to matter to some people is an entirely different, and somewhat subjective, argument. I shoot with a 5D2 and some smaller sensored camera's and I used to shoot with m4/3's, no-one will convince me otherwise that there isn't a difference between the results I can get with the 5D2 and the others, it's just my opinion but it's definitely there for me. The only way you will ever know for yourself is to try a FF camera, I'll be very surprised if you find it disappointing, I certainly didn't, just remember the compromise is size and weight and there's no real way around that unless you spend a lot of money.

Oh, and the other poster was right, it is easier to get better results and there is more headroom in the raw files for post processing, no doubt about it, that includes sharpening as well.

-- hide signature --

“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow