Almost convinced I need/want an OM-D E-M1 but....

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jay Jenner
Contributing MemberPosts: 644Gear list
Like?
Almost convinced I need/want an OM-D E-M1 but....
7 months ago

I have been a long time Olympus DSLR user: E10, E300, E1, E3 and now E5. Lenswise I have the 12-60mm, 35-100mm and 40-150mm. And I am more than a little intrigued now with the E-M1. I have read all the reviews, and played with it a couple of times in the shop and love the way it feels. I am not as giddy about the EVF as some people seem to be,to me it still seems like seing the world through a little TV rather than a window but hey, I'm old school.

The good things that I know I would love include: face detection (which I know can only really be done successfully with a mirrorless) , better resolution and DR, smaller and lighter and faster lenses.

Yes, although it will work with legacy 4/3 glass I would def want to get the 12-40mm and when it comes out, the new tele zoom.
Although the 12-60mm is stellar, its really not an f2.8 lens for very long now is it? As for the 35-100mm its is astounding. And massive and really does not get out much. The thought of something half the size and weight and with greater reach and only a stop less sounds good to me.

In general though I worry about going "compact" because I like things quite chunky and over-specced. I love the handling of the E-5 although I feel a camera with a 4/3 sensor should not be that big - but there it is. I like big cars and although a compact would get me around as well as my Audi A4 Avant and use less fuel, I know I wouldn't like it as much!

So, I look at my photos and never really think -- if only I had a better camera. But I do often pick up my camera bag and say - geez, I'm putting the Fujifilm X10 in my pocket instead!

Anyone else had similar concerns, then got the E-M1 and been totally glad all over?
Just curious - cheers.
J

Jay Jenner's gear list:Jay Jenner's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 35-100mm 1:2.0 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Fujifilm X10 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
EVFNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow