Nikon VS Canon? SLR or Point and Shoot?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Klaus dk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,328Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon VS Canon? SLR or Point and Shoot?
In reply to Teresa in Florida, 6 months ago

Teresa in Florida wrote:

3-13-14

Hello again....I'm still debating whether or not I am going to keep my Canon T5i or return it for a really good point and shoot. A friend of mine owns the Nikon L820 and her pics are amazing with a 30x optical zoom!!!

Does anyone own a Nikon point and shoot or recommend one that also offers high def video?

Please advise

-- hide signature --

Teresa in Florida

You have been given plenty good advice already. I really think you need to heed some of it - especially mine

There is no one right setting on any camera: The reason there are so many different settings is that each setting has its advantages and disadvantages. The camera cannot read your mind, unfortunately, you have to know how the camera chooses and you also have to know why some scenes are almost impossible for any camera.

I recommended this book: "LIFE Guide to Digital Photography: Everything You Need to Shoot Like the Pros" by Joe McNally in a previous post. The "shoot like the pros" in the title does not mean that you will have to know everything the pro knows. On the contrary, it helps you use the camera's automatic settings to do all the hard stuff, and you are left to do the fun stuff. The key is to know how the camera "thinks" and how it can help you.

If, however, you choose to return your DSLR, DPReview has a number of comparison reviews for different compacts, superzooms etc. which you might want to take a look at, to see what you can choose from.

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow