Senior MemberPosts: 1,238Gear list
Like?
Re: Who will abandon mirrorless first?
In reply to peevee1, 7 months ago

peevee1 wrote:

David Hull wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

So at least we have proven one thing. You are no eyeinstyne.
--
Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning
WSSA #44

When you learn to spell, you might figure out that one doesn't need to be Einstein to figure out that digital photography will only become more digital.

I think a better way to say it is that we can expect the mechanical stuff more and more be replaced by electronic equivelents -- where it makes sense. I think the devil is in the details when it comes to the "where it makes sense part". Right now, I suspect that the mechanical solution is still cheaper (particularly for the manufacturers that traditionally have built them that way). I think that it is a nobrainier to make the long term prediction that the flip up mirror will someday be a thing of the past but the question is when. It seems that there are issues of. cost, performance and perception that need to be addressed in the meantime.

-- hide signature --

I don't think cost is an issue. If anything, it would be cheaper approach to go mirrorless. However, at this time the mirrorless systems are new and the typical consumer largely driven by "tradition". Being new also increases development costs especially of support system (lenses) and need to advance the technology to do it differently. Even the m43 system is barely six years old. Sony's E-mount will turn four this summer.

I am not convinced. Do you think it is cheaper to include a flip-up mirror, the little motor that drives it and the pentaprisim than the display, driver SoC etc. for the electronic approach? I am guessing not, mechanical stuff is really cheap particularly when it has been optimized for years.

You are guessing wrong. Electronic parts get cheaper all the time. SoC is in camera anyway. And for DSLR, you forgot separate focusing system, and OVFs include some kind of display to show some basic information too (at least activity of focus).

Precision mechanics is expensive and always will be.

You dont even have to make that argument. Plenty of folks exclusively use their LCD to compose just like with their phone. They could probably get rid of the viewfinder altogether on entry level bodies. Most mirrorless bodies now do not have a viewfinder.

To your point though Sony's A3000 has an EVF and is dirt cheap, as do many midlevel compact zooms. So it's definitely possible to make an inexpensive body with an EVF. Might not be a QUALITY EVF, but it will be there.

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-C3 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow