upgraded travel kit choice - opinions please!

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
horgo99
Regular MemberPosts: 134
Like?
upgraded travel kit choice - opinions please!
4 months ago

so heres my current situation:

Camera: D90

Lenses: Tokina 12-24 F4, Nikon 17-55 2.8, 35 1.8 DX, 50 1.8G, 70-300 VR. SB-700 flash.

My camera is getting a bit long in the tooth and I would really like to be able to use higher ISO's and get a bit more resolution so I am looking at upgrading before I move to Europe - initially its for 6-7 months in Denmark but may become more permanent (hence the bigger kit then many would travel with!) and with at least 1 full month travelling the European continent. My question/dilemma lies here - which route to upgrade through? DX or FX? Unfortunately, money is somewhat a factor - would like/have to keep expenditure under ~$2500 AUD. Would be mainly used for shooting landscape and street photos while travelling, and sports/landscapes/street while in Denmark - sports being cricket and possibly golf.

Two alternate routes I have been thinking:

DX:

Keep: Nikon 17-55 2.8, DX 35 1.8, 70-300

Buy: D7100, Tokina 11-16 2.8 (or other better wide angle - not really up to date with the best wide angle lenses for DX at the moment so open to suggestion. Only reason of getting rid of Tok 12-24 was that it had a bit of a tumble recently, lens is fine but filter thread is a bit stuffed and I often use filters for WA)

Lower overall initial expenditure, better autofocus but less decent low light (more noise at higher ISO). Potentially better lenses to make better use of sensors resolving power.

FX:

Keep: Nikon 50 1.8, 70-300 VR

Buy: D610, wide angle lens (maybe 18-35 G? probably wouldn't be able to stretch budget to either the 16/17-35 models, 14-24 not realistic at all) and potentially a mid range zoom for walking (heard good things about 24-85 VR?).

Higher expenditure, cleaner at every ISO point with much more useful high ISO - though less decent lenses (initially).

What are your thoughts - I am well and truly open to different ideas regarding lenses (and even camera bodies). My head is telling me DX but heart would really love the cleaner ISO shots of the FF - the size and weight of these kits is not so much an issue for me, but I definitely don't need/want/have computer power to deal with D800 files. How many stops difference would you say there is between the 7100 and the 610 in real life shooting? What other random suggestions can people throw at me?

Thanks guys!

Nikon D610 Nikon D7100 Nikon D800 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow