Senior MemberPosts: 8,723
Like?
Re: What really makes big sensors produce more appealing images? *Serious*
In reply to Pasmia, 9 months ago

Pasmia wrote:

ZX11 wrote:

The fact that big sensors are owned by people who can do this to a photograph:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPiYVvCtNUQ

I think the guy spent an half hour on one photo fiddling in ways I don't understand.

I've heard a lot about images from bigger sensors holding up in post much better than smaller sensors. I don't really understand why, but apparently, small sensor files break down faster, and even at base ISO, grain will show through much faster from pushing shadows than with a bigger sensor. I try my best to adjust my exposure for shadows and then pull highlights in post, but more often than I'd like, I end up clipping my highlights and end up with irreparable images. This is kind of why practically all static images/still photography that I do are done with -2/0/+2 bracketing and blended in post.

Exposing for the shadows is definitely not a good idea for digital sensors. Clipping of highlights is much worse than noisy shadows.

Many people try to "expose to the right" - that is, give enough exposure to just avoid highlight clipping. I tend to expose for the mid tones and shoot RAW so that highlights can be recovered if necessary. Unfortunately cameras with small sensors usually lack RAW file saving.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow