New Olympus 17mm 1.8

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
tt321
Senior MemberPosts: 3,800Gear list
Like?
Re: New Olympus 17mm 1.8
In reply to texinwien, 7 months ago

texinwien wrote:

In my experience, the condition in which the 20mm f/1.7 is slower to autofocus (that of switching back and forth between focusing on something between 0.2 and 0.5 meters and something between 0.75 meters and infinity) is an absolute rarity.

Not so fast.

I sometimes have this work flow: See something, turn on the camera, (roughly) frame, focus, and take one shot or a number of bracketed shots. Turn off the camera.

With this, every shot could potentially fall into this category, as that one focus could potentially be (and such is my luck usually be) radically far away from what the lens was set when the camera was off.

With more deliberate shooting and taking a number of shots and re-focusing each shot on the same subject with only slight adjustments of composition, 'absolute rarity' makes some sense. But this is not what I use that lens for as that lens is on the camera when the latter is in a pocket for opportunistic grab shots whilst the main activity of the day/morning/afternoon is not photography.

It can be argued that when what you called rare happens, the focus speed is usually very important, and when what you don't think is rare happens, the focus speed is less important.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
JoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow