Forum ProPosts: 19,057Gear list
Like?
Re: I disagree here ..
In reply to Sergey_Green, 9 months ago

Sergey_Green wrote:

Anders W wrote:

honeyiscool wrote:

The Jacal wrote:
There has been plenty of criticism about the 1.8 too; being a tad soft.

I'm fairly certain a good percentage of these criticisms come from 20mm fanboys and review trollers who have never even used the Olympus 17mm f/1.8 and just like to pixel peep test charts from reviewers.

In what way does it matter who says something if what is being said is factually correct? And you don't need to use a lens in order to pass judgment on it. All you need is to look at images produced by it.

Not only you need to use the lens, but you also need to use it effectively, and with good results to show. In other words, learn the tool first, then talk about it.

Why do you need to do that? Things like sharpness, CA, coma, vignetting, bokeh, and distortion are objective properties of the lens no matter who uses it. You shouldn't confuse those properties with the photographic talents of the user.

I think the reason why this lens can often be preferred (over the others) is that 35mm equivalent is often the easiest and the most forgiving focal length to use. People simply have more fun with it when they see more frames that do look better than from the other lenses.

The 20/1.7 is sharper than the 17/1.8. That's a fact. Whether it's an important fact or not is a personal matter.

Sharpness is not all.

I didn't say it was.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
JoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow