Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dick Ginkowski
Senior MemberPosts: 1,863Gear list
Like?
V3: Sticker shock and disappointments in design
7 months ago

There are a lot of promising things in the V3 -- fast autofocus speed, for instance -- but you still have to wonder, to paraphrase Jay Leno with Hugh Grant, "What the Hell was Nikon thinking?"

They certainly have had time to work on this project and yet there are a shortcomings that make a guy like me really have to think hard about whether to pull the trigger on this one because for all of the potential there are some heart-stopping boners, such as (but not limited to):

1. EVF -- Even though there's a clip-on viewfinder in the kit, it is one more hassle and renders the multiaccessory port useless for any other purpose.  The V1 has a workable EVF.

2. Multiaccessory port instead of hot shoe -- wasn't Nikon listening to any of the feedback?  The competition now offers hot shoes which means, for example, the ability to interface with external flash units more powerful than the meager Nikon 1 offerings.

3. New 10-30mm powerzoom kit lens -- might be great for video but more clumsy for still shooters plus no filter thread, a step backward.  I use polarizers and closeup diopters on my current Nikon 1 lenses.  Another duh. At least let us buy this ala carte.

4. Micro SD cards -- really?  There's room for an SD card and I'm sure those of us in the Nikon 1 system now have plenty of them which also fit nicely into the SD slots on most laptops.  Micro SD works great in a cell phone where it's usually there from the day you buy your phone until you junk it.  Imagine fumbling around on site for Micro SD cards in your pocket and then try to insert one in very cold weather.  Mega duhs.

5. Sticker shock -- $1200?  It was high pricing that helped kill off the enthusiasm for the original 1 series.  Sony's new a6000 is priced way less and may be a viable alternative.  Canon has yet to awake from its mirrorless hibernation but one can only think that when it does it will be with aplomb.

Why so critical?  Well, there has certainly been a lot of feedback and yet it seems that a very good concept is being throttled instead of enhancing it to a reasonable max.  The V1 was a worthy start but it needs to be allowed to fully mature.  Serious shooters like me would be willing to buy a worthy upgrade.  The good things Nikon did here cannot be overlooked but it's like performing Lasik and tooth implants on someone with cancer.  All the good doesn't mean much if you don't fix the things that need fixing.  Had Nikon listened to the feedback I'd be placing the order right now.

Dick Ginkowski's gear list:Dick Ginkowski's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 +20 more
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V3 Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow