Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Peteo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,568Gear list
Like?
AF360FGZII Flash - Why not P-TTL?
5 months ago

My AF360FGZII just came in the mail today.  I ordered last week on the sale being run through B&H.  Prior to this I used a Nikon SB-25 which worked well but I always had to utilize manual mode and at times struggled to get off shots when having to hurry.  I will admit I am a novice at flash photogrpahy.  After a few adjustments on the flash or camera I could get it to work well enough.

So I mounted the Pentax AF360 on, put the settings on Auto P-TTL and the just kept my K5II in aperture priority and it works like a charm. Across the room, no problem.  Up close, no problem.  Bounce off the ceiling, no problem, adjust my aperture, no problems.  The flash just works well so I'm wondering what am I missing about manual flash photography?  If I read all the books on flash or any video's by Brian Peterson or others who use flashes they always say to go with manual settings.  I'm sure that gives them 100% control but my questions is why when, at least in my opinion, this flash seems to work so well in full auto?

Again, I am a novice and hoping to learn and expand my knowledge on this subject.  

Thanks,
Scott

Peteo's gear list:Peteo's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 II Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +8 more
Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow