Poll: What are your plans in light of the Quattro series?

Started 7 months ago | Polls thread
MarkWW
Contributing MemberPosts: 616
Like?
Re: Poll: What are your plans in light of the Quattro series?
In reply to Scottelly, 7 months ago

Scottelly wrote:

MarkWW wrote:

I got interested in the DPx series because a) new camera technology = unexpected results = fun, plus I've never been happy with the sharpness I get out of my studio work. So instead of upgrading to a better studio appropriate lens, I decided to pick up the DP3m instead (at a reduced price).

I got the DP3 because it's close to a classic portrait focal length, though I prefer the 50mm field of view (Cartier Bresson and I have that in common).

So I'll take a good hard look at the DP2 Quattro when it comes out, though I much prefer full frame/large aperture combinations for that sort of work. I may just get a Fuji X100s as my second large-frame compact camera (if they made one in a 50mm FoV I'd be sorely tempted.

If the Sony RX1 came in a 50mm version with a f/1.4 lens, I may just dump all my other camera gear and stick to these two cameras.

You can get the DP2 Quattro! That should fix your problem of not having a compact camera in 50mm equivalent focal length. In fact, you might even like the 45mm equivalent even better. I dare say the DP3 Merrill you have is a beautiful performer, and surely makes amazing portraits at f4, no?

There was a time that I really wanted a 50mm f1.2 . . . but now I want an f.95 Nokton (m4/3). I just don't know what camera to get. Eventually someone will make a spectacular 24 MP m4/3 camera with all the features I want. Then I might get it and all three Noktons (and a good walk-around zoom).

I would get the Sigma m4/3 camera, if they made one with the new Quattro sensor in it. (The whole sensor would be usable, if they made the camera do multiple formats, including 16:9 and 2.35:1 wide-screen.)

Except with a micro four thirds, the crop factor won't give you the same depth of field as a full frame. I currently shoot a D7000 that I'm considering selling to pay for a D600 that I'll use with my 50mm f/1.4 (which I currently use as a sort of portrait lens).

I was considering the Leica M8 (no below $2k) mistakenly thinking it was full frame with the Voightlander...was it f/1.1? but I really want to go full frame at the same time as pushing towards the wider apertures. Canon has an excellent 85mm f/1.2 and a 50mm f/1.2 (I think), but that's a lot of expensive glass, so I may satisfy myself with Nikon's 50mm f/1.2 and an 85mm f/1.4. On a full frame I'll still get a shallower DoF with the 85 1.4 than I would with the 50 1.4 on a crop.

OK Cupid has a blog where they analyze all sorts of data from their dating site. They have an article Don't Be Ugly By Accident. Golden hour. Shallow depth of field - nothing new. What surprises me is that the Panasonic M43 camera is FAR AND AWAY the one that produces the most attractive pictures. I don't know if it's just that more attractive people have Panny M43 cameras or what, but I'm kind of tempted to get one and that f/1.0 Voightlander just because of that article.

Though I suspect at least part of the reason is that a Panny M43 buyer is smarter than your average SLR buyer who just leaves the kit lens on it & likes to carry around something big & official looking. I'd love for them to revisit that article & cross reference more stuff like focal length & aperture by camera (e.g.f/1.x on a Nikon vs a Canon vs a M43 etc.).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
#6New
#7New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow