Does Sony force Sigma to disable OS in lens?

Started Apr 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
LeicaBOSS
Regular MemberPosts: 428Gear list
Like?
Re: Does Sony force Sigma to disable OS in lens?
In reply to Michel J, 5 months ago

My reasoning is simple. When I really have no horse in the game and simply want to know which method works best for my photos. (Sorry, I care about my photos more than I care about arguing with you)

And I...

1.Take 100 shots of a given target A) With "Steady Shot" and a long lenses at a give shutter speed and B) 100 shots with in-lens OIS and the same settings

2. And I alternate 10 shots at a time, back and forth, with a 30 second rest period between to capture these 200 photos

3. And I randomize and evaluate the images 'blind' , marking them roughly as "unacceptable" "acceptable" and "tack sharp" (by adding an EXIF comment)

4. Record the results, by comparing the EXIF with the shot log

5. Run a few statistical analyses. You can argue which method is most appropriate

6. Repeatably, the OIS produces significantly more total keepers and more "tack sharp" images. (t-test is fine for this, esp with p consistently <0.05)

7. It's reasonable to conclude that the OIS likely performs better

OR - you can post a single image from each and draw broad conclusions. I'm sure the latter is much better.

Bottom line is that this method for evaluating OIS is quite fair. The Sigma 180mm f/2.8 APO MACRO and A77 were the lens/body combo used.

If you have an emotional attachment to  SteadyShot, by all means, continue believing. It's much better than using no OS.

BOOM goes the dynamite.

-- hide signature --

From time to time, I point my camera at the right things. This is generally when I forget everything I've learned.

LeicaBOSS's gear list:LeicaBOSS's gear list
Leica M9 Sony SLT-A77 Canon EOS M Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow