Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
j y g
Regular MemberPosts: 176Gear list
Like?
Astrophotography with E-M5? I just can't make it work
9 months ago

I've been an amateur astronomer for decades and have used all sorts of devices and telescopes to take photos. I've never had a problem like this. I used to use my Casio QVSX8000 and my Canon S5 IS to take photos with my small, 90mm, Muksutov-Cassegrain Meade EXT90. They weren't awesome photos, but I get could two very discernible bands with Jupiter in single shots.

Here is a post from the DPReview Astrophotography forum where someone with a Pentax Q (a sensor at least 5 times smaller) made great headway with his ETX90.

I get Jupiter either blown out, or too dim and dark, or one of those with so much grain its almost no longer a circle. Once in a while I can see the the faintest of out of focus dirty little bands over the indistinct whitish blob. But I can never get clear shots. When I take photos of the moon, its much better, because I don't have to zoom to see an image. But if I pixel peep its just terrible, far, far worse than a non-astro photo. Is there some low light issue going on?

I've tried prime focus (no camera lens, no telescope eyepiece), and eyepiece projection with and without a camera lens. I just cannot make any headway.

Is there some particular settings I should be looking for?  I've mixed and match shutter speed and ISO up and down the scale.  I've tried IBIS on and off.  I've tried different white balances, different metering styles, MF and S-AF -- generally I focus with focal zoom on the daylight line on the moon.

j y g's gear list:j y g's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R
Canon PowerShot S5 IS
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow