Anyone disappointed with the FE movement?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Krich13
Regular MemberPosts: 442
Like?
Re: Anyone disappointed with the FE movement?
In reply to Mel Snyder, 8 months ago

Mel Snyder wrote:

I think your willingness to accept non-OSS lenses bears no resemblence to the expectations of many/most here. We have guys here who returned 8mm lenses for not having AF.

What are you talking about? Are you sure you are not mixing up OSS (the image stabilization) and autofocus? There is total of ONE (1) 24-70 f/2.8 lens with image stabilization -- the recently released Tamron. I and I guess most others would accept the 28-70 or 24-70 f/2.8 lens with open arms as we did before the Tamron release.

Frankly, I don't understand why OSS is even important on a normal range 24-70 f/4 class lens. It is too slow to be used indoors without flash -- and with flash OSS is irrelevant. F/2.8 is barely sufficient indoors even with Sony's excellent high-ISO capabilities. Outdoors there is usually plenty of light, again OSS is not all that important. Only to stabilize the viewfinder for critical focusing? But this isn't a long lens, hand shake should be manageable. May be for landscape photos without tripod/bean bag/support, I can't see where else it is critical...

Only the fact that when they started, they knew they were tapping into a market of 2 million bodies made it worthwhile to them. The poor sales performance of E mount bodies pre-A7/r made investment in that mount very resistable.

I guess poor performance of E-mount sales was made even poorer by lens pricing and speed.

I would not look to Sigma for much of anything after losing their latest patent infringement case with Nikon: http://www.diyphotography.net/sigma-ordered-pay-nikon-14-5-million-two-year-lawsuit-comes-end/ - and the $14 million doesn't include 2 years of attorney fees and court costs.

"Show must go on". Now they need to recoup these losses by selling more lenses. BTW, I don't thing $14 M is that big a deal for Sigma.

It's really rare for Japanese companies to sue each other, and probably marks the end of easy knockoffs of AF

Well, they haven't been sued for AF, and Sigma makes AF lenses for Sony Nex (the same protocol (besides PDAF) as Sony FE for reverse compatibility with Sony's own lenses. I guess I'll be OK without IS at first.

and stabilization technology by the 3rd party companies.

I don't know what lenses the infringement part applies to, how relevant it is for E-mount, and whether Sigma can bypass the infringed part in its future designs (I bet it will).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow