New A6000 sensor, Nikon 1 PDAF, this explains a lot...

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RonFrank
Senior MemberPosts: 1,697Gear list
Like?
New A6000 sensor, Nikon 1 PDAF, this explains a lot...
7 months ago

I have been wondering how Sony, the sensor giant, went from poor mirrorless AF performance to DSLR like AF performance. Maybe I should say Nikon 1 like performance. I assumed the engineers had a breakthrough. But that is not what happened. What did occur is that Sony got in bed with Aptina, the sensor manufacture behind the Nikon 1 sensor. Sony can now cross license the Aptina technology.

This explains how Sony was able to solve the AF mirrorless puzzle. The bad news? This means the PDAF technology still struggles in low light. I say so because the Nikon 1 system has not solved the mirrorless PDAF sensor issue in low light and the 1 system has been around a few years. This announcement was low key but I think it will be huge for both Aptina and the Giant, Sony.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2013/03/01/aptina-sony-agree-to-cross-license-patent-portfolios

While this announcement is a year old I do not think many put together the link, or maybe many do not care. I think it will change mirrorless forever.

RonFrank's gear list:RonFrank's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +5 more
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow