ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Meuh
Senior MemberPosts: 2,194Gear list
Like?
A photographer?
9 months ago

My son James.

So I've been thinking lately, what makes a photographer?

Looking at the photo above would you say the person who took this image was a photographer and how would you rate his ability?

Is being a photographer simply that you have a camera and can press a button or is there more to it than that?

I'd like to think and I know from my own images that there is so much more to it than simply having a camera and pressing a button, so many settings and things you can do to change the outcome of the image and when you start adding in your own lighting, smoke, props you have even more control to dictate what comes out of the camera never mind the creative options you get when developing your images.

I know there are workshops you can go to where everything is setup for you to take nice images with a click of a button, I get people wanting to hire my studio and asking for me to setup the lights for them (I don't mind helping out and giving pointers... but I don't want to stylize the shot for them) but as a photographer shouldn't you at least have an understanding of how light works along with other things like perspective, lens compression and stuff to bring your idea's to life?

Anyway a quick bts image I took from the shot above.

As you can see the image above was shot by my two year old son, using my gf1 which was pre set for him at f8 and AF with Focus priority (so it would only fire if something was in the frame and in focus) with the lighting also pre set just so they could have fun.

Does this make him a photographer?

Meuh's gear list:Meuh's gear list
Samsung GX-10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Pentax K-5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +3 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow