Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Patrick T. Kelly
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,058Gear list
Like?
Edward Weston Quote
7 months ago

One of my favorite quotes pertaining to photography and one that speaks to "pixel-peepers".

Concerning E. Weston's famous photo of Jose Clemente Orozco in 1930:

"The sitting was made in the failing light of evening after a day crowded with events. Holding the Graflex,--there was no time for working with a tripod, I could not stop down beyond 6.3, so the definition is not perfect, but practically satisfactory."

Not perfect but practically satisfactory. I love it. When I started taking pictures I never dreamed on blowing up a negative till I could see every chunk of grain and then making some pronouncement.

Practically satisfactory.

A man whose judgement I value was selecting photos for a charity auction. After he had selected a few he pointed to a print I had on another table. "Can I see that one?"

"It's screwed up. The focus is on the vendor's cart 18 inches behind the short man dressed outrageously and waving ribbons as he dances."

He looked at the picture and said, "No one would notice that except maybe another photographer." He added it to the submissions and it sold well. It was practically satisfactory.

-- hide signature --

Patrick T. Kelly
Oaxaca, Mexico

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow