Just so we're clear. . .

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 12,748
Like?
Re: Like most photos displayed on DPR. . .
In reply to CallMeAlan, 5 months ago

CallMeAlan wrote:

It needs to be over sharpened a bit.

Eh? How can any pic need to be over sharpened? Isn't that a bad thing?

-- hide signature --

I do wish people would read what they've written before clicking Post. It's so easy to a word out or misspell soemhing.

Not at all, maybe the term "over-sharpened" is at fault, I was trying to be funny and cynical at the same time, I might not have been as successful as I would have hoped!

But you need to sharpen an image to a level that looks good for the method of how you intend to publish it. Many people do a little extra sharpening just before they print even though they were happy with the base level of sharpness prior to printing.

That is a mild form of sharpening called output sharpening. It is a temporary level of sharpening and you do it just before publication. DPR tends to turn photos to a gooey mush. Many people do some extra output sharpening before they upload to DPR because they know the photo that doesn't have that extra level of sharpening won't look as good as it does on their own monitor at home.

I explain it in this article:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/7249856861/on-sharpening-images

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow