Fuji 35mm 1.4 vs Zeiss 55mm 1.8 bokeh and background blur

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
jeremyclarke
Junior MemberPosts: 40Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji 35mm 1.4 vs Zeiss 55mm 1.8 bokeh and background blur
In reply to darngooddesign, 5 months ago

darngooddesign wrote:

Not counting the difference in DOF, I like the Fuji result. The blue/green highlights in the (I'm assuming) candle flames and that background object on the right makes the photo more interesting. Maybe that's an unwanted artifact which means the Zeiss is a better lens, but for me I'd choose the Fuji.

The green fringing was actually the first thing I noticed as well. I'd almost definitely file it under "Chromatic Aberrations" since it isn't present in the a7 shot and I can't think of a reason why it would be part of the actual situation (i.e. you'd never see it with your eye). If you look at the background you can see there's also a green cast to the top right section. Overall I think this has a really negative effect on the shot (relatively speaking of course, since the photos are almost exactly the same so I'm inflating the importance of it's effect).

It's especially interesting because Fuji seems to do in-camera CA correction, so the fact that those green fringes are so prominent surprises me. I don't have the 35mm (WANT IT!), so I can't test it, but has anyone else noticed the 18-55mm having more aggressive CA correction than the 35mm? I find it's super effective with my X-E1+18-55mm, which is why the amount in your sample photo surprises me so much.

Whether it's the a7 or the lens, Sony seems to be completely in control of the CA. Good for them. Absolute image quality certainly isn't the reason why I prefer Fuji over Sony.

jeremyclarke's gear list:jeremyclarke's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 450D +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow