Who will abandon mirrorless first?

Started 9 months ago | Polls thread
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,977Gear list
Like?
Niche?
In reply to tecnoworld, 9 months ago

I think that m4/3 is now well established and no "big" player in it will leave the market.

APS-C is a little more difficult. I see Samsung as the player with biggest difficulties in understanding what customers want from a mirrorless camera. I think that both fuji and sony are much more interesting for the average consumer, now. But I think no one of those three will abandon mirrorless market. Perhaps it will become a niche in their production, but will stay there.

-- hide signature --

* Dear haters, you are now in my ignore list, so your hostile responses are probably not visible to me.

Sony E-mount was conceived to be mirrorless, and it has progressed nicely to a point where we are looking forward to a mirrorless APSc body that is claimed to beat comparable DSLRs in AF speed and tracking, and do so shooting at 11 fps. If that is even remotely true, it would only makes reliance on mirror for fast AF more questionable. And we are looking at developments over only last 2-3 years.

Sony A-mount began its transition from moving mirrors to fixed ones and will likely march towards going either fully or partially mirrorless in the near future. That mount is going thru a transitional phase when sensor plane AF is being developed and improved.

A key performance criteria in electronic circuitry is to keep everything within reach (short distances). Now we have the ability to get focal plane AF as well as metering off the sensor. We will also see further development of eletronic curtain (another lingering mechanical remnant of the past). It is already enabling extremely short shutter lag with first curtain (Sony E-mount cameras since NEX-5N have a shutter lag of 0.02s that is 2x faster than Nikon D4 and Canon 1Dx).

Faster, more accurate AF with lower shutter lag is all pointing at more digitization of previously electro-mechanical components. We should expect that to be mainstream flow rather than as a niche in digital photography.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow