ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mdb1986
Regular MemberPosts: 113Gear list
Like?
Struggling In My Decision To Keep M or Switch To Nex
8 months ago

Hi All:

I'm really struggling with my decision as to whether or not to switch to the Nex6 or stay with M.  I love how compact the M is, and above all, how CHEAP it is, while delivering really great quality.

But, I really would like more lenses to open up my options for the M.  I know there is the adapter, but it seems like when I add that plus a larger lens, I've sort of negated the M's small size.

I have the 22mm prime, but there are lot of instances in which I just need to get closer to the subject.  Whenever I can, I'll get the exercise and walk to it of course, but there are so many times where this just isn't feasible.

What I'm really looking for is a compact system/lens that is going to maintain it's sharpness and large DOF while getting me closer.

I've looked for Canon prime lenses - or even non-Canon primes - with a large focal length to get me close to the subject, while maintaining a smaller aperture to maintain sharpness, and there just aren't many.  It seems like almost nobody makes them.  Tons of fixed 50mm with razor thing DOF, but it's like F5.6 is the ceiling.  Am I looking in the wrong place?

I also would love to have Wifi built in - have heard bad things about the EyeFi cards and their effect on battery life, etc., - And a built in flash I can see a big use for as well.

It seems like the viewfinder would be nice, but I'm wondering if I'd really like it.  It seems like it would be awkward to hold a big camera up to your eye - especially if I'm going to be adding the adapter plus a bulky lens to the equation.

Any thoughts?  I am thinking if I'm patient I should be able to pick up a Nex6 with 16-50mm lens for under 400 - which by the time you pay for an eyefi card, 18-55mm lens, and 90EX flash is even less than the EOS M.

mdb1986's gear list:mdb1986's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow