Does Sony force Sigma to disable OS in lens?

Started Apr 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,903Gear list
Like?
Re: Does Sony force Sigma to disable OS in lens?
In reply to LeicaBOSS, 8 months ago

Adam Benn wrote:

mick232 wrote:

Adam Benn wrote:

Wrong.  Since the evf is displaying an image from the sensor, which is optically stabilized, the image in the evf is stabilized.

Back before evf's, you were correct, as the view finder was a real view using mirrors in front of the sensor.

Wrong. The sensor is only stabilized at the moment of exposure, not during live view.

I was wondering about that, but some quick Googling suggested that it should be stabilized at all times.  Oh well.

Thinking to my experience though, there must be stabilization active once the camera is focused (half press).  When the camera is idle, there is little point to actively stabilizing.  But I believe that is true of lens stabilization too - the stabilization system sits idle but ready, and then activates when the shutter button is depressed half way.

No, the only time you have stabilised evf is during video and that's a bit weird as its digital and weird fluttering goes on, OIS would cure all this, oh but Sony decided its not necessary it seems, frustrating to say the least as the stabilised video aint bad but as soon as you move in lower light static situations you can see the digital stabilisation doing its own thing.

The whole thing is sad because Sigma OIS works significantly better than the sensor Stabilization.

I called Sigma. They said Sony users call all the time to complain about soft lenses and it just ends up being that they forgot to turn off sensor Stabilization. It's a hassle for them to disable it, but too many Sony shooters are idiots I guess.

They said if enough people call and write, asking for OIS back, they would consider it for future releases.

Write to Sigma. http://www.sigmaphoto.com/about-sigma/contact-us
--
From time to time, I point my camera at the right things. This is generally when I forget everything I've learned.

Coincidentally, Sigma has done this only on its DC (APSc) lenses. Sigma puts OS on only three prime lenses on any mount (all three are macros: 105, 150, 180). DG zooms do get OS.

This also applies to Pentax. So, I would say that it might be a made up excuse from Sigma. The presence of OS is also a key factor I consider Sigma (above others) when shopping for a lens to share between A-mount and E-mount. Removing OS is a disincentive and Sigma loses the favor. I spoke to a Sigma rep about it a while ago but he was utterly clueless (but said he will take it to Sigma decision makers... yeah right!).

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow