Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,044Gear list
Like?
Re: 17mm f1.8 is DEFINITELY faster than 20mm f1.7 as regards AF
In reply to Mark Chan, 4 months ago

Mark Chan wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Mark Chan wrote:

we'll, I had the 20mm since launch and that lens never could focus fast. It was fine when all the initial m43 cameras had limited AF speed like those of sony and Fuji at the moment. Since the advent of olys FAST AF system, it's weakness was exposed. even the kit lenses focus faster. I never did get well focused shots of my kids running around with it. It's always been known to have an older motorized design.

after getting the 17mm F1.8 with my EP-5, I now get instant AF aka the 12-35mm f2.8 or even the 45mm from OLY. Sold of

Beyond that the lens FOV, bokeh etc are personal tastes. the one factual difference I see is the much faster AF. And the build. Oh and the lack of any noise during focusing.

YMMV

I have tested the AF speed of the 20/1.7 against that of the 12/2, the 45/1.8, and the 14-45/3.5-5.6 under strictly controlled conditions on my E-M5. Result: The speed is for all practical purposes the same. See here for details.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50877416

Have you performed any similarly well-controlled test?

BTW, looking at the thread you gave (impressive btw), it does look like you haven't had a 20mm vs 17mm test head on.

thus I conclude you have insufficient experience with regard to the disparity in AF speed between the two.

whereas several here have already stated from personal experience that one is clearly faster.

Are you claiming that the 17/1.8 is noticeably faster than other modern lenses with similar AF design like the 12/2 and the 45/1.8 included in my test? If so, on what basis do you make that claim?

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
JoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow