Took a difficult decision .

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
JeffAHayes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,941Gear list
Like?
Re: Took a difficult decision .
In reply to leopold, 7 months ago

This makes me very sad, Steeve. You've posted some of the most beautiful images of frogs I've ever seen on this forum -- mostly shot with your K-01 and, I think, the DFA 100, which is a lens I can't imagine EVER selling, for ANY REASON, unless I was just getting out of photography completely (or at least completely out of Pentax!).

I don't know your reasons for going primarily Canon, but I'm sure you have ones you feel are appropriate for you.

I have to say, however, that the more I learn and read, the more I realize the signatures some of the posters have that say the equipment really DOESN'T make nearly as much difference as the photographer/artist REALLY IS true... I just picked up the latest issue of Britain's Digital Photo magazine at Costco the other day and there's a Dutch photographer with photos featured in there -- all of which are composites he's put together in Photoshop. He was a graphic designer and didn't buy his FIRST camera until 2011 -- a NIKON D3100 (a camera many of us -- including me -- SNEER AT). Yet he has INCREDIBLE composite photos he's put together with shots he's taken using that camera -- 8 or more different shots in which he extracted just a single thing from the shot to make the photo. When he needed to replace the Nikon, Olympus wanted him to be one of their "Ambassadors," so he went with an OM-1 EM-5, I think. He said part of the reason is he likes the looks he gets from other pros when they see what he's shooting with and the results he gets. I don't have time to check if you can see his stuff online right this minute, or not, but his composite photos are just incredible -- they're ART, and he's obviously a genius. And at least for him it's NOT about the camera and/or lenses -- it's about what he does with them -- and with the PP software.

The rest of us, we keep buying more and more expensive cameras and lenses, hoping to get something that will help us "improve" our shots. He gets it just by DOING IT. I think I'm going to work on the "just do it" part of things some more, myself.

Happy Trails to you, Steeve!

Jeff

-- hide signature --

A word is worth 1/1000th of a picture... Maybe that's why I use so many words!

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
DaneNew
BobNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow