* Wed C&C No Theme Thread #307 14 03 12 *

Started 7 months ago | Photos thread
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,561
Like?
All Shallow DOF junkies: look and read here...
In reply to NewGirlLiz, 7 months ago

NewGirlLiz wrote:

As usual, I feel quite daunted posting a pic on this forum as I'm very aware of what a beginner I am, posting my photo alongside so many fantastic shots. But I learn a lot each time, so here's this week's pic, taken whilst mooching around the harbour over the weekend.

Liz

I have not yet read the other comments (you got many already) because I want to give my fresh perspective.

What I feel is wrong here, is a few different cases of overlap, making the image muddled and unclear.

The most blatant overlap, is the one between the wooden mooring post and some bright white (metal?) pole behind it.  It gives me the proverbial "tree growing out of person's head" feeling.

But I also don't like very much the overlap between the mooring post and everything that is there on the horizon.  In your effort to get on "mooring post level" and shoot it head-on and without distortion, you created that overlap.  The mooring post would look much better isolated against the strip of sand and harbour water, with its top not reaching the bottom of the houses on the other side of the bay.

(This is a clear example, in other words, of the fact that shallow DOF, of which you have plenty here, is not the sacrosanct solution for every case where a photographer wants subject isolation.  Subject isolation comes first and foremost from looking at your background and making sure you avoid overlap where possible.  Shallow DOF is secondary.  But if you manage to avoid overlap in composition, your DOF might even be less shallow - and the houses more recognizable - and you would still have better subject isolation.)

Apart from that, I also feel some fill flash would have helped (while maintaining exposure on the background).

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Wow!New
LouNew
LouNew
LizNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow