* Wed C&C No Theme Thread #307 14 03 12 *

Started 6 months ago | Photos thread
LouHolland
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,206
Like?
Re: Daughter in Mirror
In reply to RoelHendrickx, 6 months ago

Roel, it is my belief that you cut on both sides together with some hightlight processing, except the face. Also the hightlight processing creates more intimacy and even more elegance due to the portrait format.

Lou

The image will be removed within a week

RoelHendrickx wrote:

My daughter will have her prom ball soon (last year highschool, and some european schools are taking over the US habit of having a prom dance at that occasion).

So we decided to make some portraits of her in her dress and in another one. I guess you would call them "senior pictures" in the US.

Obviously we also have the traditional portraits (head, head and shoulders, torso, full length body in dress, etc), but this was a "spur-of-the-moment" extra thing.

In our house we have a high fireplace with an old mirror hanging over it. My daughter leaned on that horizontal thing (whatsthename?) above the fireplace and looked in the mirror towards me with the camera behind her (and a single light offset to her and my left). The ornament at the bottom is the frame of the mirror.

The optical defects of the old mirror give the portrait a certain softness. Direct photos with the ZD35-100 are much sharper. You could call it a "selfie with assistance".

My wife feels that my daughter's left arm is much too emphasized by brightness and suggests a crop (this was already a crop from 4:3 to square but I think her suggestion is to go to a tighter 4:3 and cut through the arm).

What do you think?

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Wow!New
LouNew
LouNew
LizNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow