Lens Suggestions for Newbie with a Panasonic GH4

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
RickPick
Contributing MemberPosts: 846Gear list
Like?
Re: Lens Suggestions for Newbie with a Panasonic GH4
In reply to jeffharris, 5 months ago

The GH2, GH3 and GH4 (to be) all have HDMI output in live view. The G6, GX7 etc do not - they have HDMI restricted to playback mode only.

GH2 and GH3 are both cheaper alternatives for you and of the two the GH3 is the better choice for many reasons. The price of the GH3 is likely to drop further I would imagine with the release of the GH4. But I quite understand you wanting to get the latest and greatest as it does look good for the money!

For concerts I use the f2.8 12-35 and 35-100 as the staple lenses (on two cameras), often wide open and at ISO 1600. I do not like to go above that with these cameras. I use manual mode  in order to keep shutter speed constant at roughly 1/(2 x frame rate) and also to have control of aperture since lighting is liable to change rapidly at these events. I sometimes use the 20mm f1.7 and Oly 45mm f.18 for video and stills.

Good luck with your choice.

RickPick's gear list:RickPick's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow