The 'discriminatory-nature' of capture-date stipulations!

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
jrtrent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,255
Like?
Re: The 'discriminatory-nature' of capture-date stipulations!
In reply to xml6000, 4 months ago

xml6000 wrote:

Statistically-speaking, capture-date stipulations reduce the talent-gene-pool of submission entries. . .

In my eyes, talent is talent - and in these liberal times is it really right to deny someone's entry based on the date it was captured?

I think it depends on the host's purpose for the challenge. Are they presenting an opportunity for people to exhibit their best work on a particular theme, or are they offering a challenge for people to compete with one another in coming up with a new image, a contest where skill and luck enter into getting a presentable image within a limited timeframe.

The word challenge itself is typically defined as "a call or summons to engage in any contest, as of skill, strength, etc." If seen in this light, a picture should be taken in response to the challenge; simply looking through one's files for an image that might fit doesn't seem like "engaging" in a contest. Without a capture date rule, you are no longer responding to a challenge but simply exhibiting your past work. It would be like entering a bowling tournament and saying, "Gee, I can't get over to the bowling alley this weekend, but here's a print-out of some good games I shot last spring."

Another benefit to capture date rules is that it puts new photographers on a more even footing with those who are more seasoned. Someone new to the hobby has the same window of opportunity to capture an image that exemplifies the theme as everyone else; they're not competing against other people's years or decades of archived photos.

In past threads on this topic, some hosts have commented that they abandoned the idea of a time-limited challenge simply because enforcement of the capture date rule was too problematic--it's not a fair challenge when you can't ensure that everyone is following the rules, and as Tasad and others have pointed out over the years, there seem to be a lot of rule-breakers entering the challenges.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
yupNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow