IanML
Senior MemberPosts: 1,210
Like?
Re: Sony AF System Questions
In reply to Peaceful Mind, 8 months ago

Peaceful Mind wrote:

IanML wrote:

Peaceful Mind wrote:

...Considering AF-D is just an application of what CDAF+OSPDAF+SLT can do, E mount with SLT adapter should receive similar application.

As I recall, that is not AF-D, which uses special purpose sensors embedded in the sensor, in conjunction with particular lens characteristics, to provide rate of change of subject-to-sensor distance.

-- hide signature --

Ian

I mean the AF-D technology, on the hardware level, relies on the OSPDAF and SLT-PDAF. With those information and some pre-measured data in the software, they can then have depth information which make AF-D possible.

And of course A99 have much more PDAF points, whether on sensor or from SLT. I guess partly it is due to the lack of PDAF sensor in the A7+LA-EA4 combination, it makes it more difficult to have AF-D. But with A6000 and it huge no of OSPDAF array, I'm thinking they should be able to get AF-D on that camera at least.

The article I read on AF-D stated that the special sensors were of a particular and unique form (and one imagines more expensive in the manufacture).  I expect they are not included in the a6000 sensor.  It may be that the a6000 focus performance is so good that AF-D is simply not worth pursuing, in which case there may never  be another camera with it.

-- hide signature --

Ian

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow