Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
John101
Junior MemberPosts: 49Gear list
Like?
OLympus 14-42 EZ is not very good
6 months ago

I bought an Olympus EM-10  last week, with the new 14-42mm EZ compact lens.  I have been waiting for Olympus to produce a camera/lens combination that could be occasionally coat pocketable.  The new lens fits the bill in this respect.  HOWEVER, the lens (I think it is just the lens because the sensor and processor are proven performers in the other models) produces really awful results.

The results looked at on a computer screen look rather flat, and when looked at 1:1 show a degree of lack of sharpness which is not in keeping with a camera of this type. I own a Sony RX100 ii and a Canon 60D with a 18-200 mm lens.  I took the same subject with the same settings 1/125, f5.6, ISO 200, focal length equivalent to 28mm full frame), and made sure the focus point was the same on all three cameras.

The results... the Sony was the sharpest.  This is possibly not a surprise.  What is a surprise is that the Canon 18-200 was a close second. It is not a lens with a stellar reputation for sharpness.  A distant third was the Olympus.  I am not a perfectionist or a pixel peeper, but I would like my travel photos to look their best.  Some readers of this post may suggest that I could buy one of the many Olympus primes, which apparently are superb.  Or a Panasonic 14-140 ii, which is also supposedly good.  The fact is, I don't want any of these. I bough the camera as a larger sensor alternative to the Sony RX100 ii. I bought this camera to take to Europe this year, in the hope of capturing great shots in a camera which I can on occasion put in my pocket.

If you are considering buying this camera for that reason...DON'T...until Olympus have sorted out this lens.  Or at the very least, buy from a shop to which you can return the camera if you are not satisfied.  I made the mistake of buying from a widely advertised shop in Melbourne which is about 5% cheaper than  others, but which does not take returns.  Never again!

I did try the Panasonic 14-140 ii on the camera and took the same photos. Much better results that the kit lens. I am not sure yet how to put my crops on to this post, but will do so soon.

John101's gear list:John101's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 60D Olympus OM-D E-M10
Canon EOS 60D Sony RX100 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow