Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tigerman82
Junior MemberPosts: 37Gear list
Like?
Only 1-3 lenses for A6000 - Which ones?
7 months ago

I'm about to pre-order Sony A6000 as my first serious camera (despite not having fully articulated screen or touchscreen, the camera seems feature-rich without breaking the bank). The problem is that I've been reading on the kit lens, 1650, and it seems it does not have the best reputation. I'm currently a student and doubt I can afford to buy more than 1-3 lenses (I cannot afford +400-500$ lenses) to be used with the camera. Could you guys point me in the right direction and recommend me 1-3 lenses (the less lenses the better so it'd be great if I could do with only 2 lenses) and whether or not I should buy the kit lens, 1650?

BTW, I do realize the general advice seems to be to just learn to use the kit lens and go from there, learning what lenses you need and what you don't. However, I'm the kinda guy who prefers to buy the equipment right away.

Here are Top-3 situations where I would use the camera:

* Indoor photography under daylight (e.g. portraits, my cat posing/playing around) and sometimes under low light (party posing)

* Shooting video indoors (e.g. video diary)

* Street photography (I wouldn't shoot something that is really far away)

If possible, I would also want to shoot acceptable macros/fisheyes occasionally (although I wouldn't want to buy an expensive lens for that purpose alone)

From what I've heard, many say 1850 is better than 1650. Moreover, the 50mm F1.8 is widely regarded as a good lens for portraits (and even video). Then there's 20mm F2.8 and 35mm F1.8 for snapshots etc.

I'd really appreciate the help so that I can get into some serious photography.

Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow