Sony AF System Questions

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Peaceful Mind
Regular MemberPosts: 112Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony AF System Questions
In reply to thebustos, 9 months ago

thebustos wrote:

I don't think you were wrong posting here. There are some forum members here who might have both to compare. I think they might still be a minority in this forum though. AF-D is only compatible with certain lenses on the A99, though I think most of the Zeiss lenses work. I think the AF combinations are probably similar, but I have no way to make my own comparison. However one thing to consider would be lens size. The heavier Zeiss lenses may be more balanced on the A99 than the A7r with adapter. After the reviews about the FE 55mm f/1.8, you're lucky you have a native Mount for it. Also, I believe Sony said that they planned to have a total of 15 FE lenses by the end of next year. So there may not be many now, but the well be.
--
Good luck and happy shooting!

Actually that is the tricky thing about Sony system. They have two mounts, two sensor formats, and they can be compatible with each other via adapters (Of course A lens to E camera only). It is actually great to unify things, but the dpreview forum do not do it accordingly. Which in practice also make sense because otherwise the forum would be messier.

But after thinking for a while, I haven't asked in E mount forum yet, since I am after A mount lenses AF performance. So if any members has A-mount lenses would be here. And although they might not have A7(R) yet, they could have been watching it closely already, to see any potential move for them to jump in. This is not true in E mount forum though, users with A7(R), like me, might not have A mount lenses, and they could be quite foreign to A mount system.

Regarding FE Zeiss 55/1.8, that's the lens I am planning to buy. It's difficult to resist after all those praise! But for lenses like 16-35/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 85/1.4, 135/1.8, and even the new 50/1.4, all Zeiss, probably will not have their E mount variant at all. Since from what Sony have said so far, they want to focus on developing FE lens that has great IQ but at the same time portable. In that case the aperture won't be very large.

The evidence would be 35/2.8, 50/1.8, and 24-70/4 FE Zeiss. These are all slower comparing to the list above.

But here comes the greatness of Sony system. What I'm imagining right now is, I have two E mount FF body, and a couple of FE Zeiss, and ZA Zeiss. And I can mix and match among them.

Possible combination is like

-ZA 16-35, FE 50/1.8, ZA 135/1.8

-ZA2 4/2, FE 35/2.8, ZA 85/1.4

-FE 24-70/4, ZA 135/1.8

I am even thinking about buying both LA-EA3 and LA-EA4. For AF, I use LA-EA4, landscape, LA-EA3.

I really admire the unified system approach Sony is taking. It makes life simpler. Whether I'm after portability, AF performance, big aperture, etc. can all be fulfilled by mix and match within the same system, with a minimum overlap. (and my background is I have a Nikon system already, and recently buying A7R, so right now I need to keep two systems that's not compatible. So I could end up with bringing D800E+14-24+70-200/2.8II then A7R+55/1.8, something like that).

But that's just the ideal situation I am thinking about. What I am still researching are, AF performance, reliability, Flash system, etc. And for example this post is about the AF performance. If all these areas are sufficiently good, I will sell all my other systems and join the unified system Sony built.

By the way, many people think that I like A7R a lot. e.g. after using A7R I am considering buying a whole Sony system. But I am not. I hate the A7R from the beginning, and continue to hate it almost every time I am using it. May be it is just me, but I have used camera from all brands, m43 from Olympus and Panasonic, DSLR from Canon and Nikon, and I have never been dissatisfied by a camera so much. A7R is not very easy to deal with. In software level I think it can improve a lot. But anyway.

Peaceful Mind's gear list:Peaceful Mind's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Nikon D800E Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow