Thom Hogan's review of the A7/A7r

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
UnderDriven
Senior MemberPosts: 1,052Gear list
Like?
Re: I don't think he is wrong, exactly
In reply to tex, 7 months ago

tex wrote:

So, I think he says some things that are real. I definitely want an untouched raw file, don't you????---let's hope we get something like that in the coming firmware update. I know it means much larger files: _I don't care. I shoot slow. I knew what I was getting into when I bought a 36mp FF camera.

Yes! Sony made this mistake before (A700), and for some unbelievable reason they made it again...

Where I think there is a problem with the review is the comparison to full size DSLR's .

Well, he tends to speak to the Nikon audience (or at least from the perspective of a Nikon user). That is probably out of habit, and I think people expected it on bythom.com. However, when he created sansmirror.com he may have needed to make more of an effort to shed his Nikon roots...

However, the other reason for the comparison is that the D800 is the only real competitor to the A7R. Clearly, he has to compare them--and he's right when he points out that the D800 has better IQ. For some people the portability of the A7R, and the ability to use legacy lenses, outweigh the better IQ of the D800. I think he made that point (although as someone who has a large collection of Nikon lenses it isn't an important point for him personally). But as a landscape photographer--one of the primary reasons to use a 36MP sensor camera--he does not understand the IQ compromise of Sony's lossy RAW compression. I don't either, unless someone is doing some intense backpacking and needs as light a kit as possible--or someone has a large collection of Leica lenses...

-- hide signature --

“The world is going to pieces and people like Adams and Weston are photographing rocks!” --Henri Cartier-Bresson

UnderDriven's gear list:UnderDriven's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sigma SD14 Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A57 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow