I think we need another wide-normal zoom lens for m4/3!!!

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Steven Wandy
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,849Gear list
Like?
I think we need another wide-normal zoom lens for m4/3!!!
7 months ago

No - I am being serious.

I have the EM10 and have been using (aside from a few other lenses) the Oly 14-42IIR and have been basically happy with the results. I do have on pre-order the Oly 14-42 EZ lens, just to see if I like the power zoom and how it compares IQ wise to the 14-42 that I have.

I have thought semi-seriously about getting the Oly 12-40 lens (the shots I have seen posted are pretty impressive), but don't know if for me I want a lens that big/bulky. (I know I stopped carrying around the Samyang Fisheye because of it's size/bulk - but again that is my.) And I know that compared to the lenses I used to shoot when I started with Olympus DSLRs, the 12-40 is not large. My two favorites were the 14-54 and the 12-60 - but the bodies back then were much larger also. I just can't see having this lovely small/light body (EM10) and putting on a lens that weighs almost as much.

What I would like is a 12-40/14-54 lens, probably 2.8-4 variable aperture. Remove the weather sealing - and if necessary the manual focus clutch (which I really like on the 17mm BTW) so that the lens can be smaller and lighter. Make the IQ good (meaning better than the kit versions) and price it around $500-650 dollars. I think that a lot of people who (1) don't want the size/weight/price of the pro lens or don't need it's "pro" specs, (2) don't want to deal with changing primes and (3) would like something with better IQ than the current crop of wide-normal zooms would jump at it.

Comments???

Steven Wandy's gear list:Steven Wandy's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +4 more
Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow