Thom Hogan's review of the A7/A7r

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
JimKasson
Contributing MemberPosts: 864Gear list
Like?
Re: Can you elaborate
In reply to JimKasson, 8 months ago

JimKasson wrote:

...if you just want to make good C-sized images and not sweat the details, an a7 might be a better choice. It doesn't aim as high, but it's more predictable without a lot of experimentation.

I don't spend a lot of time looking at what reviewers have to say about cameras, preferring to do my own testing.

However, to the degree that there's a subset of the professional reviewers coming down heavy on the a7R's shutter, consider this. If you're reviewing lenses, what you value most is predictability. There's hardly anything that feels worse than, with a deadline -- self-imposed or not -- approaching, having to rerun a laborious series of lens tests because some variable for which you failed to control jumped up and bit you in the posterior. I've been there; and I can sympathize. Telling your family that you can't do X or Y because you have to sit down with your cameras and your lenses, and your lights and your charts or stock scene makes them feel 2nd rate, and makes you feel 3rd.

So maybe some reviewers don't view the a7R's shutter with complete, detached, equanimity.

Jim

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow