Lens Suggestions for Newbie with a Panasonic GH4

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,339Gear list
Like?
Re: Lens Suggestions for Newbie with a Panasonic GH4
In reply to scottyd5, 5 months ago

scottyd5 wrote:

Posted this in the Beginners Questions forum, but would also like some opinions from you guys.
--

I mainly shoot concerts and other live events for IMAG (image magnification) where it's displayed on video boards. I would also be using it to record various events in a "run n gun" atmosphere. Most of the gear I have experience shooting on is pro-sumer type video cameras such as Panasonic AG-HMC80 with fixed lenses. I want to learn about lenses and such so I thought getting a DSLR/M would help me do this and also give me a chance to produce better quality footage.

I've been reading about the Panasonic GH4 and I'm really impressed with it. I went ahead and pre-ordered it, but now I need to decide on lenses. I'm guessing 2 lenses would be a good start. 1 being a close, mid range lens and another being a telephoto. Budget wise I don't want to spend more than a few hundred on each. I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions? Thanks!

Congrats on acquiring the new GH4. From pre-reviews on the web, GH4 appears to be a fabulous camera for those who want the very best 4K video capability and also to take nice stills. It should be awesome for your concert work.

Unfortunately, IMHO, with a top end pro quality camera such as the GH4, to get the best out of it, you should consider top pro quality glass. In otherwords, the GH4 is only a fancy box to hang your lenses on. Cameras always get updated with new models, depreciate, but good glass will serve you well into the future. But that's just my opinion.

Perhaps, your credit card will allow you to obtain the 2 Panny Pro Quality lenses to start your journey in MFT?

• 12-35 f/2.8
  • 35-100 f/2.8

Post some video and/or pics here once you decide on lenses for GH4.

Enjoy new camera and lenses whatever you decide on.

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow