Thom Hogan's review of the A7/A7r

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
UnderDriven
Senior MemberPosts: 1,052Gear list
Like?
Good review, thanks--and I agree with Thom about the RAW compression issue
In reply to Horshack, 6 months ago

Sony deserves to be trashed for the lossy RAW compression issue--or more specifically for not offering a lossless compression option (or no compression at all). Didn't they get hammered for that on the A700? Now they are doing it again--talk about not learning your lesson...

In fact, the more negative comments Sony gets from influential people like Thom, the more likely they will fix this in a firmware update (assuming that is possible). As someone who is likely to buy an A7 soon, I want to see as much pressure on Sony as possible to eliminate lossy RAW compression. In fact, a nearby camera club is hosting a Sony representative next week to talk up the A7/A7R cameras. I wasn't planning on going, but now I might have to--just to send a message to Sony that many photographers insist on RAW files without lossy compression...

-- hide signature --

“The world is going to pieces and people like Adams and Weston are photographing rocks!” --Henri Cartier-Bresson

UnderDriven's gear list:UnderDriven's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sigma SD14 Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A57 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow