Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
GossCTP
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,142
Like?
Re: HD DA TC x1,4: no Sigma HSM; not making FF compatible
In reply to KentG, 9 months ago

KentG wrote:

Now your being a little childish.

Perhaps I should have quoted that part, as it wasn't my word.

All lens mounts were proprietary when they started even though some companies started out making lenses for others before becoming camera makers themselves.

Yes. And the reason they were proprietary was to create a system. A system to limit competition and raise the barriers of entry. It happens all the time in many industries. Some use the profits to further R&D and flesh out the system, while others use their position to try to lock out potential competitors through lobbying and lawsuits.

The only reason we have standards like 4/3 and M4/3 is because of profits. They were not going to become viable systems without involving multiple companies and adhering to a standard mount.

4/3 is a different animal. It was done from scratch for a different format size.

Some mount designs were done to maximise the potential advantages of SLRs and others to do the same for rangefinder cameras.

There have been advantages here and there that persisted for a few years, but by and large all makers catch up. Either by adding to their mount, or else creating a new mount from scratch that is also proprietary.

If Sigma had not won a big case against the Big 4 back in the late 60's or so we would likely not have 3rd party lense at all.

Or we would have had more lawsuits.

And definitely would not have the camera companies selling lens mount licenses to other lens makers like Tamron and Tokina (they do that so that other companies will compete with Sigma)(Sony now owns most of Tamron). If not for Sigma, OEM lenses would likely cost more than they do now. And no company is going to change their mount to someone elses or a common one. They would automatically alienate their entire customer base. In spite of the fact that the Big 4 had a blanket cross licensing arrangement for decades if not still (see that as Japan against the world in cameras).

Kent Gittings

The fact that Sigma can make so many lenses in so many mounts and the Tamron Adaptal system existed seems to support my assertion that there isn't a technical reason for all the different mounts to exist. Not for a given type of camera or format anyhow. It is to create systems. I'm not trying to condone or condemn it, but that is how I see it.

-- hide signature --

Through the window in the wall
Come streaming in on sunlight wings
A million bright ambassadors of morning

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow