The mysteries of exposure (photo comparison)

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
yardcoyote
Senior MemberPosts: 2,358Gear list
Like?
The mysteries of exposure (photo comparison)
6 months ago

These are practice shots taken this afternoon with the FA 50mm f/1.4, as I continue to explore how to use this crazy lens.  I was actually outside to photograph some cat tracks in the mud for my blog. (Yes, my blog concerns such vital topics of the day as cat tracks in the mud.) But while I was there, I took these "beauty shots" of my (very boring) car standing in the driveway.  The attraction was the reflections of the trees in the hood and windshield, but this is the kind of general photography I end up doing a lot of the time. I've taken a lot of "for sale" pictures of cars over the years.

The two shots above were taken in quick succession without moving.  The shot below was taken a few minutes later from approximately the same position, but it doesn't exactly match the other two.

The camera was in AV mode and all I did was change the aperture, letting the camera select all the other variables.  Any comments are welcome, along with any explanations anyone has to offer for the "washed out" quality of the first image (diffraction?) and the differences in color saturation in the second two.  It was a cloudy afternoon-- are all the differences simply a matter of variations in the quality of the light?  Of the three, the second is the clear winner in my eyes-- I really like this lens at f/2.

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow